February 14, 2011

Gusty Winds...

This morning I was on my way back up to NY to start my 5 days of reserve, 8am-8pm... It was a very early morning and after yet another sleepless night I could not wait to get to my seat on the plane and pass out. For those of you who know me, know that I could fall into a dreamy slumber sitting straight up on a bumpy log. Also that I could sleep right through a hurricane, tornado and earthquake all happening at once. I got to my seat and was dreaming away within minutes of sitting down. I slept through everything. Until... we landed.  I was quickly brought back to reality when we touched, well slammed, on to the runway. It felt like we were landing on the USS Ronald Reagan (aircraft carrier). I looked at my watch, 8:20 am. I had started my reserve period 20 min ago. I had no idea how late we were and quickly began freaking out. While I was in that deep sleep, little did I know that we had sat in what is called the "penalty box", where planes sit on the side of a taxiway waiting to be released to takeoff, for over 30 min and we also had to hold for another 20 min. What in the world had happened?....."Gusty Winds"

My mind began to race....What if work had called? Obviously there were delays into and out of LGA.... What if I was needed? I couldn't turn my phone on quick enough. For the first time I found myself staring at it praying there were no messages! Whew...... I was safe!

I got to my crashpad and finished my nap. When I woke up I decided that I needed to do something today. So like every other day I got ready to head to the gym. To get there I usually run or ride the "crashpad bike" and since the roads were finally clear of all snow and ice I  hopped on the bike and rode away. It is about 2 1/2 miles to get to the gym. When I run there are sidewalks the whole way so I do not fear for my life as much as I do when I am riding. If I go at an early age I am convinced it will be dodging the crazy drivers of NY. But today that was not my only problem, those gusty winds were not finisihed with me!

I was almost to the gym, climbing up the last hill, when this huge gust of wind came out of nowhere... It all happened so fast. I think I screamed, got the wobbles and the next thing I knew, I had toppled over.... of course there were tons of people around and most just walked by and laughed, I couldn't stop laughing myself. A very nice older gentleman finally helped me up.....


Lesson of the day, leave the bike at home on gusty days!


I made it to the gym in one piece, finished my workout and headed back to the pad... I walked into the room and told one of my roommates the story. Her advice was simple. "Eat a hamburger".....



Thanks Amanda!!!!

Simply,
Meg

2 comments:

aliRDH said...

I hate to laugh at you long distance, but...lmao!! I cant help but to imagine the whole scenario:) Glad you are recovered enough to blog and to see another day!

Meg Fairbrother said...

Haha thank you! It was pretty funny!! Thanks for following!

Follow on Bloglovin