February 12, 2011

Like a horse heading to the barn....

 I have decided that this will be the year that I run and finish a marathon. Today was a great day to start my training. The sun was out and not a cloud in the sky. I have been running the dirt road that I live on my whole  life, Hawlin Road. My relationship with that road has been like any other relationship.... it has had its ups, downs, breakups and makeups. There have been days when I have not wanted to leave it and others when I just can't wait to get away. Lately I have not loved my time on the road like I have in the past. I think I am ready to fall back in love....

Thanks to Allison Bowersock I have a little inspiration and a plan to get myself into fighting shape again. Along with that I have decided that Hannah, our golden retriever, will be by my side most of the way. She is not happy about it one bit. 

I have been trying to run with Hannah whenever I am home. I have to keep her on a leash until we get to our turning point or she just will not go. On the way back I will let her off the leash so she can run at her own pace, stopping to sniff if she wants. Surprisingly she keeps up, in fact she sets the pace.  For some reason I thought that today maybe she will want to go and kept her off the leash on the way out.... BIG mistake. I was not even 2 mins down the road and I had already stopped 3 times to beg her to keep up. She was at a pace a little faster than a walk. Right then I made the decision that today was not the day. As soon as she saw that I had turned and was heading home, she suddenly had a little more pep in her step. She was at a full sprint back home..... Reminded me of that old horse you get that is stubborn, lazy and terribly slow. You think how did I end up with this one. You can kick and cluck, he just will not go. As soon as you turn to head back to the barn that lazy horse you were on is at a full gallop home.... Poor Hannah, little does she know, she has many days of hitting that road and now ALWAYS on a leash!

After taking Hannah back I started my run and I "slayed" it! It felt so good to be out there again. I am definitely ready to rebuild my relationship. When I am out there it is my time. It's just the road and me. It allows me to really think about things, release emotion..... Looking forward to my date tomorrow!

Simply,
Meg

4 comments:

aliRDH said...

I posted earlier today, but now I don't see my post~ Anywho, I love that you are doing this and really enjoyed reading your first blog! I vould completely relate to the horse analogy and it brought back fond memories of uf riding at Montpellier:) Thoroughly enjoyed!

aliRDH

Brett and Amy said...

Miss Meg and the Beatstreet Gang. Amy just showed me your blog and it is pretty much what i expected. Nothing less than amazing. What marathon are you running? If you are in colorado and thinking of the colfax, i urge to reconsider. It is 13 miles down colfax and back again. If you are running it in Denver i just may join you. Alright miss hope to hear from you!

Brett

Meg Fairbrother said...

Hey Brett!! So great to chat with you the other day! Have missed you two! I am thinking about the Denver Marathon! Run it with me!!!

Lopez Kilpatrick said...

Love the photo of Hawlin rd. Brings back memories for sure.

Heather Kilpatrick

Follow on Bloglovin