May 15, 2011

Stick to the "System"

I am back tracking just a little bit to catch you up on some things!

So a few days after I was reunited with my bag, it was my last day of reserve and of course I was not able to be released from work early… The weather was not the best in NY or DC so I thought there may be some cancellations but didn’t put too much thought into it.

Finally I got out of bed at my crash pad and started getting my things together. I was about to walk out the door and for some reason I decided that I wanted to put my car keys in my pocket. I figured I could get to them quicker when I get to my car in DC. I remember standing in the middle of the room and having a conversation with myself about this.

See I normally always place my keys in my purse, that is part of my “system”. For some reason not today. I guess I finally talked myself into placing my keys in the pocket of my jacket and off to the airport I walked.

I was trying to catch a flight on Delta so I made my way over to the Marine Air Terminal, known as the MAT. As I am walking up to security I see that my flight has been cancelled. I immediately turn around and race over to the US Airways Terminal. I had only 30 min before the flight took off. I head through security and see a screen that is now telling me  that this flight is also cancelled… You have got to be kidding. So I turn around and head back to the MAT  and again only having 30 min to make it. I get to the MAT and look at the screen, thank god my flight is on time. I was almost to the point of throwing some pennies if this one was cancelled. I was all worked up, but pretty motivated to get back home!

I land in DC and made my way to the car. On the bus to the parking lot I reached in my pocket for my keys...nothing…. Aw nooo… I frantically start searching through everything. Nothing. Then I start to think if I have a spare and I quickly remember that I was already using my spare. I had a little key incident in Colorado and my clicky keys are no longer programmed to my car. I am using my hide a key as the main entry into my car…. Ahhhhhh….. So I dread it but I call home… mom answers and I explain what happened and of course she is asking obvious questions… Did you look through your bag? I mean did you really look through your bag? Are you kidding me of course I did. She is not happy because now she is going to have to drive about 3 hours round trip to deal with my dumbass. Then I start thinking that she is also going to have to find my keys that are packed away in that black hole I have above the garage, tow my car to a dealership and reprogram my keys… All this would take a lot of time and a lot of money. I felt really bad.

After a minute I pull my head out of my ass and decide that I was going to head back to NY and find my keys. I was going to start with making sure I hadn't lost them on the plane I had just flown to DC in. I called some of the crew that I had known and none of them had their phones on… Ah.. So I got to the gate and asked the gate agent if the cleaning crew had found any keys. NO. So I knew I had to head back and was in for some more of my fantastic detective work!

While waiting for my flight back to NY a familiar face walks by. It was one of those people that you think that you may know or have seen before but you cant really put a finger on it.  I just knew that I had seen him before. Boarding begins and the gate agents cannot believe that I am actually heading back to NY. I get on and find a seat. Guess who sits right across the isle from me? The mystery man! But I have figured out how I know him. Are any of you top chef fans? Well it was Spike from top chef…. I couldn’t believe it. I had so many questions, so many things I wanted to talk about. Once everyone was on board I look over at him and whisper “ Hi!.... You were on top chef”. Smooth Meg real smooth. He laughs and says yes. Then we begin talking, I ask him everything about the show, cooking, you name it! Then the dreaded question of what I did and then it got real embarrassing really quick when he was wondering if I was coming or going to work.....

So I get to NY and sprint off the plane. If all goes well I can find my keys and make it on the last flight home that leaves in 45 min. I sprint to the MAT TSA checkpoint… no keys. Then I run outside and wait for either the Route A bus or the employee bus since I did take them both. First bus that rounds the corner was the employee bus and I was in luck because it was the same bus that I had been on earlier. The doors open and I ask the nice gentleman driving if he had found any car keys…. He looks at me and asks what kind of car do you drive? My heart starts pounding… a Jetta I reply. Ya, I found them let me go and get them. Oh my god!!!!!!!!! So lucky right now. The man returns and hands me my sweet sweet keys. I thought about, for just a second, planting a huge smooch on him, but that thought was quickly gone! I think I even said to him, “ OMG, I could make out with you right now!” His response (in a deep voice), “ Well suga thad be just alright with me!” So I said my thank yous and sprinted to catch the last flight home. I made it and instead of getting back nice and early, I believe I pulled into the driveway around midnight. What a day… what an IDIOT! Needless to say I definitely am sticking to my system. The next time I have a conversation with myself I will not stray from my routine!

Simply,
Meg


No comments:

Follow on Bloglovin